Growing your edibles straight in the ground or around your existing ornamental plants is quick and easy but not without its problems. Growing your edibles in a raised bed may cost you a little more to set up but there are benefits. Here’s my list:
1. Raised beds give you a contained space to grow in. You know where you need to head to water, weed and feed (your plants and yourself).
2. Raised beds make it easy to create barriers against pests. They are simple to net if you have creatures who want to come and share your produce.
3. If you have any concerns about contaminants in your soil, if your soil is horribly sandy or otherwise unsuited to growing food, raised beds allow you to bring in nutrient dense soil.
4. Raised beds can go on concrete or other hard surfaces.
5. Raised beds can be made with a wicking element which basically turns them into big self watering pots and means you only have to water them once a week.
6. Raised beds can be made at a height to suit their owner and a shape to suit any space.
7. Raised beds are excellent if you have large trees that suck all the water and nutrient out of your soil.
8. If you have little ones that aren’t great at sticking to the path, raised beds are the answer. No soil compaction (unless your little one is a climber too!)
9. Because you can control the soil quality of a raised bed they are often better at producing edibles.
10. Raised beds can be made to allow wheelchair access.
At Grow.Eat.Enjoy. we make raised beds out of recycled hard wood or eco pine. These beds can be made to order for any width, length or height with a watering system that suits your needs. We can also arrange good quality metal beds. If you think you might be interested in installing a raised bed and live in the Sydney area we are always happy to chat. If you want to know more but are outside of Sydney, leave a question in the comments.